Council Meeting Schedule
City Council Meetings during Covid-19:
The Milton City Council passed Ordinance 1992-20 on September 8, 2020, allowing a temporary meeting start time of 6:30PM during the Governor’s Emergency Order No. 20-28 and all extensions of the order. This new start time will go into effect on Monday, September 21, 2020.
During virtual Regular City Council meetings (1st and 3rd Monday of each month), public comment can be taken one of two ways:
- Participants may submit written comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Written comments must be received prior to 12:00pm on the day of the regularly scheduled Council meeting. Written comment will be distributed to City Council and noted in the meeting minutes. OR
- To speak during the public comment portion of the meeting, please call (253-517-2705) or email the City Clerk by 5pm the day of the meeting to sign up. Please join the virtual meeting at 6:30, as public comment is at the beginning of the meeting. Council agenda and Zoom information can be found in the council packet (which are posted the prior Thursday evening) or on our City calendar.
City Council Meetings
Citizen Participation at Council Meetings
Citizens are welcome to comment on agenda items requiring action during Regular Council meetings. In addition, time is set aside near the beginning of Regular meetings when members of the public may address the Council regarding items that are not listed on the agenda.
If you are unable to attend, the public may also submit written communications by letter or email to email@example.com. Any item received by noon on the day of the meeting will be distributed to Council. Please indicate if you would like your comments to be submitted as part of the record.
Section 4.6 of Resolution 20-1935: Citizen Comments. Members of the audience may comment on items relating to any matter. Comments may be limited to three (3) minutes at the discretion of the Mayor. No speaker may convey or donate his or her time for speaking to another speaker. A “citizen comment sign-up sheet” will be available at each regular and/or special Council meeting for the use of citizens wishing to address the Council. Citizens may also comment on individual agenda items during any regularly scheduled Council meeting prior to the Council’s deliberation and placement of the item on the table for Council action. These agenda items include, but are not limited to, ordinances, resolutions, and Council business issues. These comment times are limited to three minutes.
If many people wish to speak to a particular issue, Council may choose:
- To limit the total amount of time dedicated to that single issue; and/or
- Continue the time for visitor comments on that issue to a future Council meeting;
- In the event of single subject group comment, at the discretion of the presiding officer, single time allocation for a spokesperson greater than three (3) minutes can be allowed.
- Groups that desire to designate a spokesperson shall submit to the presiding officer, prior to comment, a list of present group constituents or others in agreement so that duplication will not occur.
Written comments may be submitted into the record of a Council meeting by presenting the written document to the City Clerk. A copy of the document will be provided to each Councilmember; the document will not be read aloud.