Updated 8-9-22: This project is postponed until July of 2023.
As part of infrastructure improvements along Milton Road/5th Ave, two undersized and partially blocked pipes that currently direct Hylebos Creek under 5th Avenue will be replaced. The new culvert and road improvements will provide many benefits to the community and environment:
- Reduce seasonal flooding of the roadway and adjacent properties, by raising the road grade and re-establishing the flow of the Hylebos Creek.
- Provide a fish friendly passage (based on WA Fish & Wildlife standards) through the culvert, improving the habitat for native Coho, resident trout, and other fish species.
- Reduce the required maintenance from buildup of debris and sediment, and eliminate the future replacement cost of the existing culvert for the City of Milton.
To limit the impact on the creek habitat and fish species, work within the creek area, can only take place between July 15th – September 30th. The time-sensitivity of this “in-water work” and lack of area to reroute traffic near the work zone will require impact to traffic flow per below:
Road Closure Dates for Culvert Installation:
- August 1st – August 15th: Intermittent Traffic Disruptions
- August 15th – October 15th: Full Road Closure